Essay Contest Rules
Contest rules, essay format, and prize listings
- Student entrant’s names should not appear on the essay. Please include the essay’s title and page number in the upper-right-hand corner of each page.
- Essays are not to bear the instructor’s remarks.
- When needed, entrants must document all sources using MLA style and must include a page where all works are cited.
- Entrants should submit their essays and submission forms to the Jacaranda Canvas page.
Prizes & Recognition
Winning essays will be selected for the following qualities: Originality and Insight, Strength of Purpose, Convincing Development, Clarity and Precision of Language, Effective Arrangement of Parts.
- It is expected that essays will be generally correct in grammar, mechanics, and documentation.
- Cash prizes will be awarded in each category. An entrant may not win more than one prize per category.
- Honorable mention awards may be given to additional essays of merit.
- Winning essays will be made available to faculty and students through the English Department.
- Winning entrants will be notified by the English Department.