Federal Work Study
On-campus job placement
The Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally-funded aid program that provides on-campus work positions to qualifying Long Beach City College students. Students must meet the financial aid requirements to qualify for a position and can apply by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application.
NOTE: FWS has limited funding. Not all students who apply will be selected to participate in the program. The Federal Work Study Program may be suspended for the Fall 2021 term dependent on the re-opening of campus. If you are interested in a FWS opportunity, please complete an interest card for consideration.
To apply for Federal Work Study, please submit a FAFSA application as early as October 1 of each year. Awards are based on when the FAFSA application was submitted and when all required documents are received. Funds are limited.
- Through the Federal Work Study (FWS) program, students work 16 hours per week on campus starting at the California minimum wage.
- Wages earned through FWS are based on need and not counted when determining your eligibility for financial aid when you reapply. Off-campus job earnings are considered income.
- A minimum of half-time enrollment (6 units) is required.
- Students must reapply each school year and can work as they remain eligible. This includes making satisfactory academic progress.
NOTE: FWS has limited funding. Not all students who apply will be selected to participate in the program.
Students who have been awarded FWS can submit an interest card to their department of interest.
Student Employment Handbook
Departments who are hiring FWS students
- Complete a 2022-2023 FAFSA Application
- Submit an Interest Card
- Attend the 2022‐2023 FWS Hiring Fair
- Submit all required documents to the Financial Aid Office for processing
Supervisors are encouraged to consider student workers as students first in scheduling and allowing time off for studying and tests.
- Not all returning applicants are awarded FWS.
- Please ensure that your student has been awarded FWS. Please DO NOT allow an FWS student to start until you receive an approval email from Financial Aid.
How to participate in the FWS program
- Attend the Supervisor Orientation.
- Submit a completed FWS Position Request Form by the announced deadline.
Recruiting and Hiring Processes
FWS Assignment Notice, 2022-23
Supervising FWS Students
Assignment Details, 2022-23
List of Department Codes
Timesheet Template, 2022-23
Emergency Loan Request
TARS Entry for Sick Pay
Entering Timecards on TARS