The mission of the Long Beach City College Foundation’s Helping the Homeless Students Associate Group is to assist housing and food-insecure students with basic needs and other support so they can focus on their academic success.
If you are a student looking for support services, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.lbcc.edu/basic-needs-program.
This mission is undertaken by achieving various goals.
Goal 1: Identify students who are food and housing insecure.
- Objective: Advertise the group’s mission and services to students via faculty, staff, the Foundation, and other college constituent groups.
- Objective: Housing Liaison collects and reviews student applications.
- Objective: Housing Liaison collaborates with the Basic Needs program to review applications for emergency aid during the COVID pandemic.
Goal 2: Support identified students who are food and housing insecure.
- Objective: Housing Liaison works with the committee to award aid to student recipients.
- Objective: Housing Liaison collaborates with the Basic Needs program to refer students in need to community resources.
Goal 3: Support student recipients academically.
- Objective: Student recipients are required to complete academic support activities and are referred to campus resources including tutoring.
- Objective: Student recipients are required to meet with an academic counselor to create or review their education plan.
Goal 4: Monitor the academic success of student recipients.
- Objective: Committee works with the College Institutional Effectiveness Office on tracking student data including ethnicity, gender, GPA, and awards completed.
- Objective: Committee uses this data to refine program goals and objectives.
Goal 5: Raise funds to continue implementing the Housing Committee mission.
- Objective: Apply for local grants and funding opportunities that align with the group’s mission.
- Objective: Hold semi-annual fundraising opportunities.
- Objective: Encourage college employees to enroll in a monthly payroll deduction program via the Foundation and/or gift one-time donations.