Office of the President
As the Superintendent-President Dr. Mike Muñoz is the chief administrative officer of the district and oversees the Long Beach City College (LBCC) administration. Nationally recognized as a transformational leader, Dr. Muñoz led LBCC since March 4, 2021. He is an expert in closing racial equity gaps for students of color, creating inclusive campus cultures for LGBTQIA+ students, and efficiently executing innovative change that makes LBCC a destination college for students from all backgrounds.
A first-generation college student, Dr. Muñoz is a product of the California Community College system, attending East Los Angeles College and Fullerton College before transferring to the University of California, Irvine, where he received his Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Social Behavior. He received Master of Arts degree in Counseling and his Doctorate of Education with a specialization in Community College Leadership, from California State University, Long Beach. While attending college, he experienced both food and housing insecurity — all while caring for his daughter as a single father.
Dr. Muñoz has extensive experience teaching both at the undergraduate and graduate levels in counseling and higher education. He has taught master’s level courses at California State University, Long Beach, and USC, and doctoral level courses at California State University, Los Angeles. He’s currently serving as an Adjunct Professor of Higher Education at the USC Rossier School of Education teaching a leadership course focused on Community Colleges. Dr. Muñoz was recognized as an Outstanding Faculty Member in 2019 by USC’s Rossier Student Organization, and the 2018 Dr. Cynthia S. Johnson Award from CSULB for his contributions to higher education through exceptional student mentoring.
- National Community College Hispanic Councils (NCCHC) – Board Member, President-elect
- American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) President’s Academy
- Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) – Advisory Committee of Presidents Appointee
- Aspen Institute Rising Presidents Fellow
- GetSchooled – Board Member
- AB928 – Intersegmental Implementation Committee – Lt. Governor Appointee
- California Community Colleges Organizacion de Latinx Empowerment, Guidance, Advocacy for Success (COLEGAS) – Founder, Board Member, Treasurer
- Campaign for College Opportunity 2022 Beacon of Racial Equity Award Recipient
- UC Davis Wheelhouse Fellow (Completion 2023)
- Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC)
- California Conference for Equality and Justice (CCEJ) – Board Member
- Los Angeles County Fourth District Consolidated Oversight Board – Board Member
- Mayor Rex Richardson’s Transition Team – Co-chair for Youth and Education Taskforce
- University of Southern California Rossier School of Education – Faculty
- Long Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
- Rotary Club of Long Beach